Remade in Italy – a recycled content certification
Phone: + 39 0283525359,
WHEN: 2009 – Present (Ongoing)
WASTE MANAGEMENT HIERARCHY: Recycling: Reuse – Reprocessing
TYPE OF INSTRUMENT: Voluntary/promotional
WASTE STREAMS: Municipal waste, Industrial waste
About: ReMade in Italy’s certification scheme evaluates products made from pre-consumer or post-consumer material diverted from the waste stream. It measures the percentage of recycled content for the purpose of making an accurate claim in the market. In this regard, it also represents a useful tool for Public administrations and companies, to identify the recycled products for „Green Public Procurement”, made mandatory in Italy by the law (Legislative Decree 50/2016).
- promoting recycled products through independent third party certification
Certification attests the traceability of production, starting from the verification of the source of input raw materials, to the finished product, representing a tool for transparency and simplification for Green Public Procurement and the private market. For the public administration, certified products mean a guarantee of the environmental requirement on recycling materials and products for all sectors.
Knowhow: ReMade in Italy’s certification scheme is developed through the use of a deep understanding of the industrial processes involved in the production of recycled products in various category (building, street furniture, office furniture, schools, textiles, etc.). At the end of the certification process, a label can be issued to the Company, showing product’s recycled material content, with the assignment of the relevant class.
The label also explain the environmental impacts resulting from the recycling process, in terms of reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and energy saving in comparison with the production of the same item with raw materials. The label can be directly affixed to the finished product, in its data sheets and Reports, for a strong communication with consumers, ever more environmentally aware.
– An energy saving of 5,215 MJ/MG
– A reduction of greenhouse gas emissions of 609 Kg CO2/MG
• a waste management company (Amsa) providing waste management services to the Municipality of Milan,
• CONAI (the National Packaging Consortium), a private non-profit consortium which collaborates with Municipalities and serves as a guarantee to citizens that any materials from separate waste collections are fully used through proper recovery and recycling processes
• The Chambers of Commerce of Milan (Camera di Commercio di Milano, Monza-Brianza e Lodi)
Also is supported by relevant stakeholders in the waste management field:
• Italy Ministry of the Environment and Protection of Land and Sea
• Ecopneus scpa, a non-profit company for the tracking, collection, processing and recovery of end-of-life tyres (ELT) created by the major tyre manufacturers operating in Italy
• Material ConnXion, an international network of companies providing advisory services on sustainable and innovative materials and production processes
”One of the most relevant issues for the circular economy is how to measure it. ReMade in Italy is the first certification in Italy for “circular” products, GPP compliant. As a non-profit association involving several manufacturing companies, ReMade in Italy has set a model for traceability of material flows in the production process to ensure maximum transparency and verification of the operations carried out. The certification, accreditation and independent, is an useful tool to ensure high quality of recycled products to public administrations. “ (Simona Faccioli, Dorector ReMade)
Management of the center made by an already experienced association of second-hand markets. The staff has to be able to receive only consumer goods that are still in good condition (even from a hygienic point of view) and that can be effectively re-used for their original uses, purposes and purposes.
- reluctance of some stakeholders to obtain certification